4-Day Summer School on Dielectric Interfaces
Organized by: IEEE Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation Society
9-13 September 2018
To promote scientific debate between junior researchers in the field of electrical insulation and dielectrics, IEEE DEIS organizes the 4th Summer School on Dielectric Interfaces in September 2018.
The objectives of the IEEE DEIS Summer Schools are:
- To organize brainstorms on challenging topics in the field of dielectrics and electrical insulation among young researchers
- To discuss research methodology with students
- To support the students in creating research networks
- To challenge the students to start joint research work, present their work, and organize special sessions in IEEE DEIS sponsored conferences
In the quiet medieval village of Bertinoro, about 100 km south east of Bologna, Italy, a group of 32 junior researchers / PhD students will take part in a 4-day brainstorm on three related hot topics in dielectrics research.
After a plenary introduction and a presentation of the three topics, four groups will be formed. To optimize the discussions, each group will be led by a senior moderator of reputation in the field of dielectrics. At the end of each day, the groups will report in a plenary session. On the last day, the outcome of the work of the four groups will be merged, preliminary conclusions are drawn and a framework for a journal paper will be prepared. This method has proven successful in the first three Summer Schools.
- Interfacial phenomena at nano scale – taking the explanation of structure-property relations one step further
- Increasing the heat transport in solid dielectrics
- How to obtain objective measures of the size of interfacial zones and the quality of dispersion and distribution in nanocomposites
- John Fothergill, emeritus City, University of London, UK
- Alun Vaughan, University of Southampton, UK
- Thomas Andritsch, University of Southampton, UK
- Peter Morshuis, Solid Dielectric Solutions, the Netherlands
How to apply
If you want to apply for the 2018 Summer School, please send an application letter by July 20th, 2018 to Dr. Peter Morshuis at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To qualify for participation you are either a PhD student, an MSc student with some research experience or in the first three years of your career. You should have a reasonable command of English. In your application letter we expect you to describe in a few lines your main field of study, and the reason why you would like to participate in the Summer School. If you are a student, we expect also a short recommendation from your professor. We will evaluate the application forms and inform you about acceptance within two weeks after we have received your application. Please be aware of the fact that we allow a maximum of 32 participants, so first come first serve.
Summer School fee
The Summer School is sponsored by IEEE DEIS. Therefore, your fee is strongly reduced (by €80,-) if you are an IEEE (student) member. The cost of becoming an IEEE student member is very low (about €25,-) if you consider the benefits you will get. Becoming an IEEE student member is easy: http://www.ieee.org/go/join_student
Summer School fee for IEEE (student) members: €350,- (22% VAT included; €286,89 ex VAT)
Summer School fee for non members/non students: €430,- (22% VAT included; €352,46 ex VAT)
The cost of participation includes: transportation from Bologna to Bertinoro on September 9, hotel room for 4 nights (September 9-13), food and beverages, social activities, and transportation from Bertinoro to Bologna on September 13.
If you need additional information, please contact Dr. Peter Morshuis at email@example.com.