Young Professionals in DEIS
IEEE Young Professionals (YP), formerly known as Graduates of the Last Decade (GOLD), was created in 1996 as a membership program to help students transition to young professionals within the larger IEEE community. Young professionals are defined by the IEEE as post-Student Members who are still within 15 years of receiving their first professional degree, with an option to participate beyond the 15-year time span. Currently, there are over 100,000 IEEE YPs members worldwide.
The future growth of the Dielectric and Electrical Insulation Society (DEIS) depends on the younger and early-career members of the society. Currently, there are around 350 DEIS YP members which account for 20% of the total membership. Many thanks to our society president Prof. Brian Stewart and vice-president Prof. Davide Fabiani for taking firm actions and the initiative to re-boot the YP program with the primary objective to inspire and inform DEIS YP members on a variety of topics—both technical and nontechnical—to enhance their interest and engagement in the society.
There are several major activities planned by DEIS-YP in the near future:
- The first one is a major overhaul of our website resources to make them more useful for professionals within the dielectric community in order to better attract young professionals and students. This will include planning to expand webinars, online forums and other outreach activities.
- In many DEIS-sponsored conferences, there are no specific programs targeting student activities. Starting this year CEIDP, we will have a YP luncheon and at all upcoming conferences inviting academic/industry leaders.
- Starting from the next EIM issue, we will have a “YP Highlights” column featuring early-career DEIS members embarking on their career journey in an academic or corporate environment.
- The DEIS summer school is one of the active areas of YP participation. The YP will continue to support this by increasing the number of summer schools, topics and lecturers, and by facilitating funding.
A wide variety of benefits and opportunities are available to IEEE Young Professionals, to help you grow professionally, enhance technical knowledge, and become involved in the community. For further details check the following link: IEEE Young Professionals
Graduate students remember to apply for the annual DEIS Graduate Student Fellowship, an award of up to $5000. DEADLINE FOR SUBMITTING PROPOSALS: Usually September 30 every year. Updates regarding events and activities of the DEIS community will be announced on this site as they become available.
- Mattewos Tefferi: Received his Ph.D. in electrical engineering from the University of Connecticut, in 2019. He is currently with G&W Electric Company, Bolingbrook, IL, USA.
- Zijia Shen: PhD student at Chongqing University. She is currently visiting scholar at Technical University of Berlin.
- Allen Andersen: Received his Ph.D. in Physics from University of Utah in 2018. He is currently with the Natural Space Environments Group at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, CA, USA.
- Moein Borghei: Received his Ph.D. in electrical engineering from Virginia Tech in 2022. He is a high-voltage scientist at Avalanche Energy, Seattle, WA, USA.
- Sneha Hegde: Received her Ph.D. in electrical engineering from University of Montpellier. She is currently a Post-doctoral researcher at Centrale Lyon, France.
- Chenmeng Zhang: Received his Ph.D. from the Wuhan University in 2016. He is currently with State Grid Sichuan Electric Power Research Institute, China.
- Zhikang Yuan: Received his Ph.D. in Electrical engineering from North China Electric Power University in 2019. He is currently Assistant Professor at Tongji University. China.
- Ashok Narayan Tripathi: is currently a PhD student at Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur, India.
Note that we are still seeking more YP Regional Representatives, especially in Japan, South America, Australia and Africa. We are also looking for a dedicated volunteer to lead our Social Media efforts and the maintenance of the website.
Follow us on LinkedIn for the latest updates and events that are of interest to DEIS YP members.