Web Content Editor of the IEEE Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation Society Website
The Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation Society (DEIS) is seeking applicants for the position of Web Content Editor for its Website. The successful candidate will also hold a seat on the editorial board of the Electrical Insulation Magazine.
Interested? Here is what you will be responsible for:
- Work with and solicit content from contributors, such as DEIS Technical or Administrative Committees, sponsored conferences, researchers and students, and companies in the field
- Communicate with contributors to update materials, and encourage the supply of new content to keep the website fresh for returning visitors
- Write original content on topics relevant to our membership
- Edit and check content for accuracy, ensuring it complies with copyright and privacy regulations
- Ensure copy is easy to read and formatted appropriately for the web (this will be done in close cooperation with the Webmaster)
- Reach out to students and young professionals via the website and social media accounts of DEIS to encourage Society membership
- Work closely with the Webmaster to oversee website design and all technical aspects of the website
- As a member of the Editorial Board of the Electrical Insulation Magazine, assist in coordinating website and magazine content
- You may upload content yourself or provide material to the Webmaster
- Work with the Webmaster to monitor visitor behavior by reviewing website statistics to ensure content is meeting the needs of our audience
- Regularly report on progress to the DEIS Publications Committee via teleconferencing meetings
- Participation in at least one of the two DEIS Administrative Committee (AdCom) meetings per year is expected
Skills needed to excel in this position include:
- Good understanding and overview of the Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation field and emerging fields in this area.
- Excellent writing and editing skills, with an understanding of the special requirements of writing for the Web, such as the use of keywords, hyperlinks, and navigation, and the importance of brevity.
- Good eye for detail, with good English spelling and grammar skills
- Good communication skills to work effectively with contributors, the Electrical Insulation Magazine Editorial Board, the DEIS Publications Committee, and the Webmaster.
- Good organizational skills to collate material from multiple sources and produce web content within tight deadlines
The tasks related to editing of content submissions go beyond what is typically expected from volunteers. Therefore, an honorarium will be offered to cover the editing of submissions. Travel support will also be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Term of Service
- 3 years, followed by a performance evaluation
- Possibility of renewal for a further 3-year term
At the end of your term you will be expected to provide a complete, comprehensive description of your duties and any ongoing projects to your successor prior to the start of the successor’s term, and upon request to assist the successor to ensure continuity of website operations.
DEIS membership is a requirement for the position.
E-mail your letter of application and your resume showing relevant experience to:
Paul Gaberson, DEIS VP Admin (PCGaberson@ieee.org) no later than November 7, 2018.