The DEIS is seeking applicants for the position of Editor-in-Chief (EiC) of the Electrical Insulation Magazine (EIM). Potential applicants should be members of DEIS and be willing and able to carry out the duties of an Editor-in-Chief (described below) from 1 January 2021 to 31 December 2024 with a transition from the previous EiC during 2020.
The applicant will share with the current co-editor the duties and responsibilities listed below as an editorial team.
Applications will be reviewed by the DEIS EiC Search Committee, which will interview shortlisted candidates or teams and will prepare a recommendation for the DEIS President and AdCom. The latest date for acceptance of a letter of interest is 15 July 2020.
Position Description of the Editor-in-Chief (EiC) of the IEEE EIM
The duties and responsibilities (shared with the co-editor) are:
- General responsibility for technical content and production of the 6 issues per year of the bimonthly EIM published by DEIS. Full DEIS membership is expected, as is the attendance of at least one editorial-team member at AdCom meetings (2 per year).
- In addition, there is usually a one-day meeting of all IEEE Editors per year that should be attended by the editor-in-chief or by at least one editorial-team member.
- Responsible for soliciting and obtaining articles and news items. Attendance at one or more DEIS-sponsored conference(s) (expenses covered by DEIS) is expected in order to enable solicitation and discussion of possible manuscripts and news items.
- Responsible for interacting with company (FASS) producing the EIM, contributing editors, associate editors, regional editors and editors for special issues.
- Communication with authors for receipt of articles, editorial feedback, proof-reading, etc.
- Interaction with the Editorial Board to review initial submissions; assign articles for refereeing to reviewers/associate editors.
- Edits articles and interfaces with FASS on the production of the Magazine, including proof-reading and layout.
- Interfaces with advertisers’ representatives and with IEEE if necessary.
- Writes editorials and obtains guest editorials.
- Interfaces with the DEIS treasurer on finances.
- Solicits information (news, company and volunteer profiles) on DEIS sponsored conferences.
- Closely collaborates with the DEIS Web Editor-in-Chief to share and distribute content between the Electrical Insulation Magazine and the DEIS Web Presence, and to collect the relevant information from the respective DEIS volunteers.
- Maintains mailing lists (chiefly of non-DEIS members) and other suitable data bases for the EIM and, in collaboration with the Web EiC, for the DEIS web presence.
- Interfaces with DEIS Publications Chair on policy issues and status of the Magazine.
More details of duties and responsibilities may be obtained from the DEIS Vice-President (Administration), Brian Stewart ([email protected]). If you wish to be considered, please submit a letter of interest outlining previous relevant experience, future plans for the EIM and a detailed CV to Prof. Stewart by 15 July 2020.