DEIS is seeking suitable applicants for the position of Editor-in-Chief (EiC) of the Electrical Insulation Magazine (EIM). Potential applicants should be members of DEIS and have general knowledge of matters related to DEIS fields of interest. As the EIM’s aim is principally to communicate relevant and topical areas of interest to the DEIS Membership and wider community, and does not publish high level research material, applicants should have a desire to widen further the general appeal and themes of interest of DEIS in the EIM.
Applicants must be willing and able to carry out the duties of the EiC (described below) from early 2021 to 31 December 2024 with a transition period from the present Interim EiC EIM. Applications will be reviewed by the DEIS EiC Search Committee, which will interview shortlisted candidates and prepare a recommendation for the DEIS President and AdCom.
The position of EiC is a volunteer position, but will attract generous travel expenses as well as operational expenses to conduct the role of EiC. To reduce significantly the workload of the EiC, the EIM Editorial Board will be involved actively to manage submission review processes and all copy-editing for the EIM will be undertaken by an external third party.
More details of duties and responsibilities may be obtained from the DEIS Vice-President (Administration), Brian Stewart ([email protected]). If you wish to be considered, please submit a letter of interest outlining previous relevant experience, future plans for the EIM and a detailed CV to Prof. Stewart at the latest by 31st January 2021.
Duties and responsibilities of the EiC EIM
- To take general responsibility for technical content and publication of the 6 issues per year of the bi-monthly EIM published by DEIS.
- Full DEIS membership is expected, as is the attendance of at least one of the two DEIS AdCom meetings per year (expenses covered by DEIS).
- Attend DEIS sponsored and/or other conference(s) (expenses covered by DEIS) to enable solicitation and discussion of possible EIM manuscripts and news items.
- The EiC, along with the members of the Editorial Board will actively solicit contributions from suitable authors.
- Accept initially Abstract proposals for EIM papers and not full manuscripts. Based on the content of the Abstract and in consultation with the Editorial Board, the EiC will decide whether the authors will be invited to submit full articles.
- Communication with authors for receipt of articles, editorial feedback etc.
- Assign submitted articles to appropriate members of the Editorial Board who will share the responsibility for overseeing article refereeing processes.
- Assign key tasks such as proof reading of accepted articles, reviewing news items, etc. to the Editorial Board.
- Be responsible for the final decision on acceptance of the reviewed articles.
- Interface with FASS on the production of the EIM, including transfer of manuscripts and magazine layout (no copy editing expected by EiC or EIM Board).
- Interface with advertisers’ representatives and with IEEE as required.
- Write editorials and solicit guest editorials for the EIM.
- Make use of a suitable on-line submission/review system.
- Seek input and support from the society leadership, DEIS conferences and the Technical committees.
- Interface with the DEIS Publications Chair on policy issues and the status of the EIM.
- Lead and manage regular EIM Editorial Board meetings to ensure effective operation and management of the EIM.
- Closely collaborate with the DEIS Web Editor-in-Chief to share and distribute content between the EIM and the DEIS Web Presence, and to collect the relevant information for the EIM from respective DEIS volunteers.